Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes muscle pain and fatigue. According to recent statistics, about five million Americans (1 in 50) suffer from fibromyalgia. After arthritis, it is the second most common musculoskeletal ailment and is seven times more common in women than men.
Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies pain sensations by affecting how the brain processes pain signals. As those with this debilitating condition will tell you, it affects every aspect of daily life.
- People with fibromyalgia are 3 or 4 times more likely to be depressed
- Half of the sufferers have difficulty performing daily activities
- One third have had to quit or change jobs
- Many are hospitalized every few years
- Average patients use three to four drugs to control symptoms
Functional medicine practitioners have noticed that the vast majority of patients with fibromyalgia have digestive problems, and discovered that many patients had gut infections, dysbiosis (microbial imbalance), small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and leaky gut.
Suggestions to manage, heal, or avoid fibromyalgia include:
- Avoid foods, medications (e.g. antibiotics), and chemicals that can irritate the gut
- Eat plenty of fiber (sweet potatoes are a good source!) and fermented foods
- Consider taking a probiotic (learn more on our Blog)
- Get plenty of sleep
- Manage stress and discomfort with acupuncture (Mayo Clinic studies approve)
- Relieve tension on targeted musculoskeletal areas with Tuuwa Tension Relief Oil and Tuuwa Tension Relief Lotion For Him or For Her
Overall science is confirming the reported relief acupuncture provides patients is on par with medications, such as anti-depressants and acetaminophen. Our Xu Wellness clients agree that acupuncture, partnered with pure, natural and healthy Tuuwa Oil and Lotions is a safe, medication-free and successful plan to manage fibromyalgia.